New to Pilot Station

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

New to Pilot Station

Postby Mitsube » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello!

I am moving up to Pilot Station at the end of July and I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some insight on the going-ons around the small town (I think it's too big to be called a "village"). What are the arts and culture like? I've heard that there is a store there, if so what sorts of things might I be able to access there? What does the teacher housing look like? How is the tolerance in the town? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I've never lived outside of the Valley in Oregon, so I'm pretty nervous and excited for this experience. ;)
Mitsube

Re: New to Pilot Station

Postby ms.annas » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 am

I believe the teacher that is still there has a blog "The Middletons of Nowhere". Well, that is if her location and your location are the same thing.

Good luck.
ms.annas

Postby Johncn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 am

ms.annas wrote:I believe the teacher that is still there has a blog "The Middletons of Nowhere". Well, that is if her location and your location are the same thing.

Hi,

The Middletons of Nowhere is a good Alaska teacher blog. Just to clarify, though, I believe the OP was referring to working Pilot Station, Alaska, which is in the Lower Yukon School District. The Middletons live in Pilot Point, Alaska, which is in the Lake and Peninsula School District. ;-)

However, a former teacher in Alakanuk, which is just a few miles down river from Pilot Station, and part of the same school district used to keep a blog of life and work in that village.

Jana's Blog

http://janaalaska.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps, and thanks to Ms. Annas for trying to assist another new member.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby ms.annas » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

Thank you for the clarification. I accepted a position at Emmonak. I am guessing mitsube and I will meet a the new teacher orientation at the district office?
ms.annas

Postby Mitsube » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you for the clarification. I accepted a position at Emmonak. I am guessing mitsube and I will meet a the new teacher orientation at the district office?

I haven't heard anything about an orientation at the district office, but if there is one, I'm sure we'll meet. :) I still have approximately two weeks until I am going to be in Pilot Station. Thanks for the help!
Mitsube

Return to ATP Forum